Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My hair straightener says 110-120V on it, can I just use a plug adapter when I go to Germany(220V)?

I know you're not supposed to if the appliance doesn't say -220V, but since it's just a 45 Watt hair straightener...



My hair straightener says 110-120V on it, can I just use a plug adapter when I go to Germany(220V)?

You will need a 220 to 110 voltage converter otherwise you will burn up your straightener.



Wattage (p) is a rating of how much heat is being produced.



The formula is p = iv



p is the wattage



i is the current



and v is the voltage.



For this problem the resistance of the straightener would remain constant.



so i = w/v = 0.4091A



so R = v/i = 110/0.4091 = 268.9 ohms



New voltage of 220



p = v^2/R = 220^2/268.9 = 180w



180w is more then enough to burn up your straightener and start a fire.



My hair straightener says 110-120V on it, can I just use a plug adapter when I go to Germany(220V)?

Don't use it without an adapter. If you plug it into 220v without the adapter you will most certainly ruin the hair straightener and could very well electricute yourself.



My hair straightener says 110-120V on it, can I just use a plug adapter when I go to Germany(220V)?

No, don't do it. I'm stationed in Iraq were the voltage is 220. Any 110 item plugged in without a transformer immediately burns up.



My hair straightener says 110-120V on it, can I just use a plug adapter when I go to Germany(220V)?

I wouldnt suggest it. The voltage isnt the only thing that is different.



Europe uses a 50Hz system, and here in the USA we use a 60Hz system. Ever seen the movie "Just Married", where they put a 60Hz plug into the 50Hz socket? The room and part of the hotel burned up. I know its a movie and shouldnt be taken as fact, but it illustrates the point rather well.



My hair straightener says 110-120V on it, can I just use a plug adapter when I go to Germany(220V)?

Yes, this is precisely what the voltage converters are for. Your hair straightener is just an electric heater, and will operate just as well at 50 Hz as at 60 Hz. The converter will convert the 220V wall voltage to 110V which is what your appliance needs. Just make sure the converter is rated for the wattage that your appliance needs.



By the way, you wouldn't be able to just plug your 110V appliance into the wall in Germany anyway. They use a different arrangement of holes in the wall specifically to avoid such mistakes.



My hair straightener says 110-120V on it, can I just use a plug adapter when I go to Germany(220V)?

No, don't even try it...Could be very Dangerous...an adapter is only to change the power outlet socket to fit the plug of your hair straightener.... . You need a Step-up transformer from 110V to 220V AC.



(By the way, as the hair straightener only uses heat, the cycles will not matter. Only motors are affected by the 50 or 60 Hz and even then, the only effect is a change in motor speed...a 50 Hz motor will run a little faster with 60Hz).



My hair straightener says 110-120V on it, can I just use a plug adapter when I go to Germany(220V)?

A "plug adapter" is simply a mechanical device which allows a plug to be connected to a different type of socket.



To use your 110V appliance from a 220V source you need to use a transformer which has a power rating of at least 45W. These may be bought at some airport shops. They are also available through the internet.



Xash is confused.



Power dissipated in a load is proportional to the sqaure of the voltage.



If you double the appplied voltage, the power dissipated in a given load will increase by a factor of FOUR, not two.

No comments:

Post a Comment